First, What is the Zika Virus?
Per CDC.gov “Zika is a disease caused by Zika virus that is spread to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes species mosquito. The most common symptoms of Zika are fever, rash, joint pain, and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week. People usually don’t get sick enough to go to the hospital, and they very rarely die of Zika.”
2. Only 1 and 5 people get the Zika Virus. The symptoms include fever, headaches, conjunctivitis, ganglion cysts, rash, joint and muscle pain. Symptoms do not occur until 2-7 days bitten from the mosquito.
3. The disease is transmitted through Aedes mosquitoes. Although according to CNN the first sexually transmitted case has happened and in Texas. Source
4. The countries affected is on going but some returned travelers to the USA maybe affected. Source for more information.
5. In February 2016, the WHO declared that microcephaly and Guillain-Barré syndrome, believed to be associated with the virus outbreak, were a public health emergency of international concern. Source and Source
6. Pregnant women in the countries affected whether traveling or reside have had birth defects of microcephaly. Which is deformity of the babies head after it is born. Information for Pregnant women CLICK HERE
7. For Prevention avoid ALL mosquitoes especially the Aedes mosquito. More instruction on prevention CLICK HERE.
8. IF infected get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids, take medicine such as tyenol to relieve fever and pain, DO NOT take aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs, if you are on other medication talk to your health care provider, before taking additional medication. Source
9. No vaccine available but no deaths have been confirmed since the spread of the virus.